On Sunday (October 30, 2022), the entire country has been shocked by the accident caused by the collapse of a bridge over the Machhu river in Morbi, Gujarat. So far 141 people have died in this accident. Also, around 100 people have been injured. NDRF teams, three army personnel, and local people are still engaged in relief and rescue work. Search is on for those missing in the accident. After this horrific accident, the way the death figures were coming, everyone was shuddering. After the accident, there was a line of dead bodies in the biggest graveyard of Morbi.
The condition was that 26 people were buried in the same cemetery in the city. For this, from the night of the incident till 7 pm the next day, about 150 people were busy digging graves here. Waiting was going on for the burial of the dead in 4 cemeteries of the city.
Actually, the workers working in the cemetery could not dig so many graves. Therefore, the graves are dug after the cooperation of the relatives of the dead. Everyone was waiting for the dead to be buried. But, it was getting delayed due to the paucity of coffins and an increasing number of dead bodies one after the other.
The chief caretaker of this cemetery, Ghafoor Pastiwala, has said that the accident caused by the collapse of the bridge had surprised him. They had to dig 40 graves overnight. Within 12 hours, 20 people were buried in the cemetery, including 8 children. He has said that he had never dug so many graves at once. Pastiwala, pointing to the line of four graves in the cemetery, said that these people belonged to the Sumara family. 7 members of the family have been killed. Among them are 4 women and 3 children.
Dead Bodies Still Exposed
So far about 15 hours have passed since the Morbi accident, but the process of removing the dead bodies from the river is going on. According to officials, so far 132 people have died in this accident. At the same time, about 177 people have been rescued and many are injured.
people were deliberately shaking the bridge
According to Vijay, who survived the accident, when he and his family reached the bridge, some youths were deliberately shaking the bridge vigorously. This was causing a lot of trouble to the commuters. In such a situation, Vijay felt that there could be a danger of stopping on this bridge. Due to this, he and his family returned from the bridge without moving forward. Vijay told that he had also informed the staff of the bridge about this, but it was ignored.
Bridge capacity of 100 people
According to the information received, the capacity of this bridge is only about 100 people. At the same time, a fee of about Rs 15 is also charged to come to this bridge. In such a situation, it is being said that in the greed of earning on the weekend after Diwali, this bridge was opened without a fitness check. Witnesses have said that around 400 to 500 people were on the bridge at the time of the incident. In such a situation, the bridge could not bear the burden of the huge crowd and broke.